Author Topic: Need Help! - Configuration for a Kenwood TM-V71A  (Read 9403 times)

kc0zie

• View Profile
    • Email
Need Help! - Configuration for a Kenwood TM-V71A
« on: 2013-04-08, 23:02:07 »
I need some help getting a Kenwood TM-V71A to work with the RRC-1258II for my local ARES group.  Both of these are newly purchased so they are the lastest versions/firmwares that are available.

I used the configuration for the Kenwood D700 cabling.  This specifies using mode=8 (TS-2000/TM-D700).  I did this, and nothing happens when I hit the power switch.

I checked with the TM-V71A Service manual, and everything seems right.  I also tested all my cabling.  No crossed/shorted wires.

I found the following forum post: http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=168.msg4028;topicseen#msg4028
This indicates: "Does not work with the kenwood mode, but use program mode 3, Yaesu 8x7."  I followed this advice.  Now, I get the option to 'Connect' in the status screen of the web page.  After I connect it, and hit the power button on the control head, I get the radio's power-on tones on the speaker connected to the 'Control' side of the RRC.  Unfortunately, the display does NOT turn on, and then a few seconds later there is a click on the speaker.  After that, I can hit the power again and the same process repeats (poweron tone, no display, click).

Everything I've read says this configuration should work.  There are numerous posts on other forums that the radio body is the exact same between the D700 and V71A.  Others say the heads are interchangable (the D700 TNC functionality is not available with a V71A head).

I am getting desperate to make this work, so any help or suggestions would be helpful.  I've got a network sniffer set up, and will be hooking up an RS232 analyzer if any of that information could help resolve the issue.
« Last Edit: 2013-04-12, 22:57:56 by kc0zie »

kc0zie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Help! - Configuration for a Kenwood TM-V71A
« Reply #1 on: 2013-04-12, 22:58:57 »
Attached is a network trace of the failed startup.  Hope this helps someone.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-13, 00:35:08 »
Hi

Im sorry from but Microbit/Remoterig we can not help. If it works with one of the existing modes it's just luck. There are almost always some even small differences in the protocols between different radios, and as there are no public documentation of the protocols it's lot of reverse engineering behind the support of the different radios. But in mode 1 or 3 data is sent just as it is between the boxes so the best chance to make it work is in one of those modes. I suggest you try to get in personal contact with OZ1MAR to get som hints, we don't have that radio and I have not ever seen it in Sweden so we can't do much.

73 de mike

NZ5E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-29, 16:25:28 »
...I used the configuration for the Kenwood D700 cabling...

Why did you start with the configuration of the TM-D700?  I thought that the TM-D710 is the radio most compatible with the TM-V71A?

If you were successful in configuring your TM-V71A, please post how you got around the power-on issues, etc.

Thanks,

Terry, NZ5E

HB9ODP

• View Profile
    • My RemoteRig
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-14, 18:16:40 »
Hello, anyone use the V71? My experience:

With D710 display the radio is working, with V71 display and cable wiring as D700 display the radio doesn't start up but....
If I power up the radio with D710 display, disconnect TTL cable and connect V71 display the radio is already on and it's working (this confirm that the connections are correct). Power off and then is no more possible to start newly.

So the problem is the 'power on command' on V71 display...

Changed COM-0 program mode to '3' on both rrc's, same...

Any idea?
RRC V1, TS-480, KAM, MFJ Automatic Tuner, G5RV

HB9ODP

• View Profile
    • My RemoteRig
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-14, 21:24:41 »
With program mode 17 - FTM350 on display side and program mode 5 -TM-D710 on radio / body site the V71 power UP but... every 4/5 sec there is a beep on RRC with ON/OFF orange led on MIC/AUX

It doesn't work in my case with Yaesu FT 8x7 config

HB9ODP

• View Profile
    • My RemoteRig
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-14, 21:42:58 »
And finally found an acceptable solution

Set Program Mode 5 TS480 / TM-D710 on both side like user guide

In the RRC Control (Display side)
-> Radio Settings
-> Auto Connect = YES

The radio start up automatically, but then you can power ON / OFF with the button on display.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-20, 15:17:30 »
We have now released RRC firmware v2.78 with support for TM-V71, the manual is also updated, thank you Mattia for the help.

73 de mike