Author Topic: Radio bodies to computer and radio heads to RRC?  (Read 7408 times)

kn7uengeng

• View Profile
    • Email
Radio bodies to computer and radio heads to RRC?
« on: 2013-06-08, 08:09:38 »
Is it possible in order to reduce up front costs to only purchase the hardware version of the RemoteRig controller for the heads of the radios and use a computer(s) connected to the internet and the bodies of the radios?  I want to create a Go-Box with a Kenwood TS-480SAT head and a Kenwood TM-D710A Radio head in it.  With both heads running on batteries and with an iPhone 5 as a WIFI hotspot.  I'd want to control the radio bodies hooked to a computer(s) at the home QTH via the radio heads hooked to the RRCs.  Can this be done? - Thanks Gene

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Radio bodies to computer and radio heads to RRC?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-08, 11:42:50 »
Yes, the control RRC's are available separately. If you can buy the heads as well,
then that is no problem. I have a couple of stations that I am part of with about
ten TS-480 users each using that configuration.

I also have a "go-box" with a TS-480 head, RRc and battery mounted in a Pelican
case. See photos at http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=953.msg3882#msg3882

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kn7uengeng

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-09, 00:41:23 »
I don't completely understand your response.  Are you saying I don't need the RRC boxes on the radio bodies, and I can use a PC with them instead?  And that I only need 2 RRC boxes for the radio heads in the GoBox to function remotely? - Gene

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-09, 00:59:25 »
Maybe I misunderstood your question. I assumed you were asking if it was
possible to purchase additional control RRC's, so I said yes. If this was not
your question, then please disregard my answer and restate your question
again if I didn't understand.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kn7uengeng

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-09, 03:40:18 »
I'm just wondering if you can use a computer or computers to control the radio bodies and the RRC boxes for just the Radio heads and accomplish the same thing and save some money On the initial set up?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-09, 11:43:10 »
No, The  main idea with the Remoterig system is that you should not need a PC on the radio site. At radio end there must always be a RRC, at control end you can choose between RRC and RRC-micro.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-09, 15:05:51 »
I will make another attempt from my side, since I still think you are asking something else:

- You must have a radio RRC on the station side. This connects up to the radio and network and
provides audio, control (CAT) and the possibility of controlling an additional serial device, such as
a rotator. No computer on the radio side is required (that is the main advantage of the RemoteRig).

- On the user side, you have three possibilities:

1) Another RRC for control, which connects to the one at the station. If you have a rig with a separate
control panel (head), such as the TS-480, IC-706, etc., then you can use this panel to remote
control the rig. A computer is optional, but can be used for CAT control or controlling the additional
serial device.

2) You can use a control RRC without hardware control, only using a PC software to control the
rig using CAT. Essentially the same as last, only that you lose the comfortable hardware-based control
with the panel/head. This method is necessary when using a rig that doesn't have a remote panel.

3) You can buy the RRC PC Micro client and save money over the RRC solution. This gives you essentially
the same as the previous method, except that you lose CW paddle support. You gain portability, since
this is very small and light. Many like me have this as a backup method of access when traveling.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kn7uengeng

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-10, 04:49:28 »
Thank you, that helps a me a lot.  And if you don't mind, I have another question for you.  Can you have multiple RemoteRig controlled, same model, radio bodies in different locations, all through one Remoterig controlled Radio head? - Thanks, Gene

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-10, 15:33:26 »
Hi Gene,

Glad that finally answered your question.

To answer question #2: yes, no problem. There are five "profiles" currently available
to connect one control RRC up to multiple radio RRC's. You can switch profiles either
over the RRC's web page, or by using the "Microbit Setup Manager" over USB.

Just not that the control RRC needs to be jumpered to use a specific type of rig. Therefore,
you need to take into account when accessing multiple rigs. You said same model, but I
just wanted to make sure you understood how important that is.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX