Author Topic: Multiple controls connecting to a unique remote  (Read 5646 times)

iz1ksw

• View Profile
Multiple controls connecting to a unique remote
« on: 2013-07-12, 17:08:30 »
Hi all,
I've just started reading about the remoterig system and I haven't been able to find anything about a possible multi controls configuration.
I try to clarify:
Say we have a remote station, a K3 for example, connected to the remoterig box and, on the other side, we have 3 users all with K3/0 and remoterig box.
Can all of them connect to the remote station (not at the same time, of course) or there must be a 1 to 1 relation beetween the remoterig boxes?

Thanks,
Gab

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Multiple controls connecting to a unique remote
« Reply #1 on: 2013-07-13, 11:18:29 »
Hi Gab,

Only one person can use or monitor the remote rig at the same time. You therefore
need to have a method of coordination between users. I have stations with about 10
users, so this is not a problem. Methods I have used include a (static) chat window
and Google Docs for a log. I also suggest you have everything on an IP power switch
to be able to turn things on and off in case someone forgets to disconnect (plus it is
anyway a good idea to have this).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-13, 16:52:32 »
Hi

Not much I can learn you anymore Mitch, but there is a disconnect button on the Radio-RRC status page which force the connected Control-RRC to disconnect, This function was implemented on request from multi users who had problems with users who left for work and left the RRC connected.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-13, 16:56:01 »
That is correct, Mike, but I meant everything on the remote station and not
only the RRC, e.g. rotor, etc.

In addition, I prefer to not have users access the radio RRC's web page and
prefer to keep that in the domain of the admin.

So I prefer the IP power switch as a method to also make sure everything is
off after use and for kicking people off if someone is blocking a Lantronix port
or similar.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

iz1ksw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-14, 11:54:52 »
Thanks for the reply Mitch.
That is exactly what I was looking for. At the moment I'm planning to have 1 remote and 2 controls only so it's not going to be too difficult to organize a shedule time for users, the google doc log can do the job.
Now I have another question. From the website I see that it's only possible to buy remote+control and there's no a "control only" option. Am I correct?
And, are there any hardware/firmware differences between a remote box and a control box? Are they exchangeable?

Thanks,
Gab

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-14, 12:04:52 »
Hi Gab,

Yes, you can buy the control box separately:
http://shop.microbit.se/webshop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

The second user could alternatively use the RRC Micro Client to access, this is however
a software (CAT control) solution only. This would make sense if the other user(s) do
not want to invest in a hardware control panel, or no separate panel is available.
http://shop.microbit.se/webshop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=38

Yes, the control and radio RRC's are completely different and are not interchangeable.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

iz1ksw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-14, 12:15:40 »
Fantastic!
Thanks Mitch.

Gab