Author Topic: New Feature Wish List  (Read 7425 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
New Feature Wish List
« on: 2010-06-16, 18:17:03 »
The RemoteRig is really a great and innovative product, and everyone that I show it to wants to buy one (if they didn't already). As with every successful product, everyone seems to have a wish list of new features they would like to see included in new firmware versions, or even hardware revisions.

I have seen a couple of suggestions spread throughout the forum, but thought I would start a topic to suggest a couple and let everyone fill in the rest with your ideas:

- Save and reload settings. This would enable you make a backup, share a RemoteRig installation more easily, etc.

- Multiple server settings. This would allow you to switch between multiple server installations.

- Ability to use a SIP software/hardware client. This would allow using RemoteRig without having to carry the remote head and maybe the 1258 box with you. This could be using either a PC at the remote control site with remote control software such as VNC, or you could connect a serial port on the 1258 to the CAT on the rig and control it with software locally that way by only carrying the 1258 box along. It may be that this is already possible and only the settings need to be documented.

- Not exactly a device feature suggestion, but for me the weak point of the product is the documentation. Even though I am a native English speaker, I completely misunderstood the current documentation on some points. I suggest that a wiki is started to improve the documentation and keep it up to date by the user community. An excellent example of this can be seen for the Win-Test documentation at http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Main_Page

So let's see if some others have further suggestions.

Mitch DJ0QN

deSanford

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Feature Wish List
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-19, 23:36:27 »
What provisions are available for selecting the right ant. automatically whenever the the band is changed on the 480 control head? deSanford W6YY

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-29, 15:18:01 »
Hi Mitch and others,

I have seen a couple of suggestions spread throughout the forum, but thought I would start a topic to suggest a couple and let everyone fill in the rest with your ideas:
Good idea, here are my personal wishes.

- Save and reload settings. This would enable you make a backup, share a RemoteRig installation more easily, etc.
I also would like to see this feature, it can also be used to switch between different types of internet connections, e.g. ADSL or 3G.

- Ability to use a SIP software/hardware client. This would allow using RemoteRig without having to carry the remote head and maybe the 1258 box with you. This could be using either a PC at the remote control site with remote control software such as VNC, or you could connect a serial port on the 1258 to the CAT on the rig and control it with software locally that way by only carrying the 1258 box along. It may be that this is already possible and only the settings need to be documented.
Sounds interessting, but I think that this would be hard work to realize as it would have to be done for all different rigs that are supported by the RRCs.
But I would appreciate to see at least part of it, i.e. a virtual com-port driver that can be installed at the control side and connects to the real com-ports at the remote site. Thus there is no need to connect the com-ports at the control side "in hardware" to the local computer.

- Not exactly a device feature suggestion, but for me the weak point of the product is the documentation. Even though I am a native English speaker, I completely misunderstood the current documentation on some points. I suggest that a wiki is started to improve the documentation and keep it up to date by the user community. An excellent example of this can be seen for the Win-Test documentation at http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Main_Page
Good idea!

Just my 2 cent.

vy 73, Simon (DJ4MZ)

kcflyers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-30, 04:18:02 »
I believe the 1258 is essentially a serial server plus a VoIP ATA.  It should not be too difficult to create a software program to provide a softphone and COM redirection to the radio 1258.  That would allow use of only software at the operator end.  PC to PC remote setups only require operator software.  While travelling with a laptop, the RemoteRig system would also require the client 1258, a wall wart, and some way to connect the 1258 ethernet to WiFi (more stuff).  Totally inconvenient compared with just a laptop and some software.

To my view the RemoteRig solution is only suitable for a "fixed" operator location.  Although I like all the other aspects of RemoteRig (especially when stereo is available for my K3 with two receivers), I might well go in with another remote method unless such software were available. 

sm0mdg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-08, 17:28:33 »
What provisions are available for selecting the right ant. automatically whenever the the band is changed on the 480 control head? deSanford W6YY

The simplest solution is to use a band decoder available as a kit or ready made unit. It will decode your radios band output and control the relays on an antenna switch. If you are using a FK-1A (or any other) amplifier with a built in antenna switch you might not even need the band decoder depending on your antenna setup.

73!

VK3ZFS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-08-09, 03:27:13 »
Im very keen to use the remote rig  net interfaces, my problem is I have a remote location that is off Grid (Solar Powered) and net connection is via a 3G wireless internet service, the 3G service I have will shape to 64kbit after 3 Gbyte of use for a month.
We do spend time on the weekends and chew up our data allownece  :-[
I can see a problem if im shaped to 64kbit I cannot use G711 codecs (85kbit)
Will there be a update to GSM/G729/G726 codecs to support connection rate of under 64kbit
It would be perfect for my remote HF use.
Regards :)
Frank VK3ZFS
« Last Edit: 2010-08-09, 03:30:55 by VK3ZFS »

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-08-09, 18:53:57 »

Easy Sanford,
when you connect a webswitch via the ttl to rs232 converter to your rig 

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2010-08-11, 13:10:42 »
Hi All,
for the Web Switch it would be nice to have a smaller screen resolution
When I connect to that page from my windows mobile (HTC-HD2 480*800) to switch
on lights or antennas running OPERA it works perfect but it is so small that I have to zoom in
before I can toggle the switches, after that it reloads back to the original size and have to zoom
in again. Or maybe someone can give me a hint how I can give to this link size restrictions in OPERA
on my HTC

Guy ON4AOI