Author Topic: CW Keying  (Read 21147 times)

sm0mdg

• View Profile
CW Keying
« on: 2010-08-10, 14:52:11 »
Is it just me or is the keyer a little "slippery" in B mode? I am used to Winkeyer (and Yaesu keyers which seems very similar to Winkeyer) and find the Remoterig keyer requiring a very precise release of paddles to avoid an extra dash or dot.

Is there any way to use Winkeyer with Remoterig? That would be useful with contest software or maybe someone...

73 de Björn
SM0MDG
SE0X

dj4mz

• View Profile
Re: CW Keying
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-10, 15:46:16 »
Hi Björn,

Is it just me or is the keyer a little "slippery" in B mode? I am used to Winkeyer (and Yaesu keyers which seems very similar to Winkeyer) and find the Remoterig keyer requiring a very precise release of paddles to avoid an extra dash or dot.
I don't think it's just you, I have the same problem when changing between the Remoterig keyer at home and the Winkeyer at the contest station. It always takes some time to adapt to the "new" keyer.

vy 73, Simon (DJ4MZ)

DL7AV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-15, 13:17:56 »
Indeed the keyer is a little slippery in B mode. When you stay on the dot paddle during the complete length of a dot another dot will be generated. Is that a bug or a feature? I would like that to be corrected, for the time being I have to use mode A.
73,  Thomas DL7AV

DL8HCZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-15, 17:53:06 »
Same experience here. First thought I made a config mistake,
but as you all report the same it looks like that it`s normal?
73 Joe, DL8HCZ

sm0mdg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-23, 12:12:46 »
Mike, any ideas or comments?

A feature that I really would like to see is a K1EL (compatible) chip in the keyer, ready to connect to N1MM or other contest or logging software.

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
SE0X

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2010-12-16, 16:40:50 »
Hi

We have implemented a new keyer mode called "Iambic A2" in v2.30 for you who had problem with old A or B.

Pse try and let us know what you think ????

73 de mike

DL7AV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2010-12-18, 12:17:45 »
hi ,

Thank you for the new features in firmware 2.30.
“New CW-keyer mode = Iambic A2, for you who have had problem with the old A and B, pse try”

Here is my comment about the CW-keyer performance:
Mode A2: Sorry still too many Dots (or dits): Transmitting DE puts out DI. We don’t need a dot memory during the transmission of a dot and the subsequent pause. There seems to be no Dash-Dot-memory, transmitting a K in the usual way puts out a M. I am not using squeeze keying but single lever. I have compared to K1EL winkey which is just perfect.

73,  Thomas  DL7AV

ea3in

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2010-12-18, 19:36:45 »
I am using Old type-squeece keyer option with lf delay = 500 ms and it is quite ok. No extra dits.500 ms was the solution in my case.
73s de Marcel

sm3ccm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-12-18, 22:02:50 »
Thomas, DL7AV.
I do have exactly the same problem with the A2 keyer software as you have.
73 de Lars  SM3CCM

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-12-19, 12:36:47 »
Hi there,

tks for trying with the new keyer mode! But also for me same result. I use squeeze so trying to send K will result in N, same as in A1. So I will continue using Mode B as I'm now already used to it.

Also my reference is K1EL Winkey.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-12, 10:55:01 »
Has there been any further progress on fixing this problem with the
keyer? It makes the internal keyer pretty much useless until this problem
has been solved.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-12, 11:02:28 »
The only changes we have done, is to make the sidetone more distinctive, the upramping and down ramping is faster. We can not see that there is anything wrong with the keyer modes. And there is very few complains so it must be that people are used to different kind of keyers. But If someone can send us source code or specification about a new mode we can easily add a new mode.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-12, 11:07:57 »
Hi Mike,

The problem is not that something new is needed, but the existing modes
add an extra dit. I know that Thomas DL7AV and Simon DJ4MZ have both
had issues, so maybe they can help you fix the problem. I haven't tried
CW yet with the newest firmware, maybe it has been fixed. Perhaps
Thomas and Simon can give their inputs after updating their firmware.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-12, 11:13:36 »
But since lot of people using the existing modes we can not change them. If we make modifications of the behaviour we need to make new modes.

73 de mike

DL7AV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2011-01-16, 22:42:11 »
Mike, your last statement is rather disappointing: "But since lot of people using the existing modes we can not change them. If we make modifications of the behaviour we need to make new modes." The Remoterig internal keyer is a very good feature but you are forcing people like me to use an external keyer.

The fact is that you don’t need new modes, just improve e.g. A2. At present I cannot find any difference between modes “old type”, A1 and A2. Here is my detailed analysis:

wanted letter     E       N

output with:
old type      E   T
A1      E   T
A2      E   T
B      I   N

To explain:
With mode B we can store a dot when touching the dot paddle during the transmission of a dash. This is a good feature of mode B. If we don’t have this, a T would be transmitted instead of an N.
For some reason the dot memory is also active during the transmission of a dot (or maybe during the space right after the dot. So there will be an additional unwanted dot (I instead of E)! No CW operator would want this.

I understand Microbit is very busy but let me ask you: Don’t give up on that one! We don’t need it next week, but please give us hope on it.

Tnx, 73

Thomas  DL7AV