Author Topic: Com Port Usage - Remotely Programming Yaesu 857D, Chirp,HRD, Etc.  (Read 7458 times)

jkmusic

• View Profile
Hi,
I use these 1258MKII for remote operation of my Yaesu 857D.  Love it.  But for about a year still I have found no way to use the com ports to program the memories...or to use HRD if I choose. I have the USB Dongle that works great if I am at the rig.  Not remote.  I even have the RT Systems dongle.  I am not even sure how to connect these as my dongle is a CAT to USB.  Please help.  Assume nothing and please be detailed.

Thanks,
Kevin

jkmusic

• View Profile
Step 1 - Physical Connection via what and where?
Step 2 - 1258mkII Com Settings - Chirp or RT-Systems Memory Programming via Remote Control Unit
Step 3 - 1258mkII Com Settings - Ham Radio Deluxe Operation

Thanks

VK3ALB

• View Profile
Hook up your RRC control to your PC via the supplied USB cable. If you haven't done so before your PC will install a bunch of microbit drivers and after a time your device manager will have some new COM ports.

In my case I get

RRC 1258 COM0 (COM16)
RRC 1258 COM1 (COM13)
RRC 1258 COM2 (COM6)  Let's use this one as COM2 is normally unused.
RRC 1258 COMExtra (COM14)

Yours may be different but the important thing to note is each RRC COM port is mapped to a PC COM port.

Make up a cable to connect your rig body to COM2. There's plenty of detail in the RRC guide and your radio guide about the connections.

Remote in to your RRC control and configure COM2 for the correct mode, baud, bits, parity. Also set "Use USB Com Port as COM2" to yes.
Remote in to your RRC radio and configure COM2 for the correct mode, baud, bits, parity.
It should be obvious that the settings for both RRC boxes should be the same and they should match the serial settings in your rig.

Now the magic.

Leave the USB cable from RRC Control plugged in to your PC.

COM6 (in my case) on the PC is mapped to COM2 in RRC and COM2 in RRC is connected to your rig.

If you have all the above set correctly you will be able to open COM6 on your PC with whatever control program you want and manage your rig.

Harder to write than it is to do.

« Last Edit: 2017-03-14, 03:43:27 by VK3ALB »
Lou
VK3ALB

jkmusic

• View Profile
Great start! Thanks
So you are saying no special dongle is needed in the mix? (Valley Enterprises, etc)
Thanks
Kevin

VK3ALB

• View Profile
Hi Kevin,

I don't think you need any special cables or dongles to do this. I have a TS480 and this is exactly how I do my setup. In this scenario you will only have to make a cable to go from RRC radio COM2  to the serial port on your rig. Perhaps others that have your radio might offer an opinion.
Lou
VK3ALB

jkmusic

• View Profile
 Hi. Looked thru the 247 pages. No diagram to make a cable. One for Yaesu twin, which is not the 857 setup. Can you send specific link to make cable? I probably already have one anyway. If this works, my issue was listening to the people that said you must have a Valley Enterprises cable. I never thought "outside the cable!"
Thanks for your help!

VK3ALB

• View Profile
Hi Kevin,

Page 17 of the RRC guide gives you the pin connections of COM2. Your radio manual should give you the details of the com port on the back of the rig.

If your cable can plug straight in to the COM2 socket on the RRC then you can probably use it between the RRC and the rig.
Lou
VK3ALB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi
It's no problem to use HRD with FT-857. You need to connect a CT-62 interface from RRC com2 to the Radio. And it has to be a genuine interface or at least one which is powered from the radio. Many pirates steals power from the serial port and they can not be used. The PC is connected to com2 via RS-232 or USB and com2 is setup to mode 3 whit correct baudrate bits, etc.

73 de mike

LB4MI

• View Profile
Sorry for opening an old thread,

But did anyone actually get CHIRP or Yaesu FT-857 Programmer to work trough the RemoteRig, with a Yaesu radio?
I have orignal cable from radio to RR, and tried both the virtual serial port at PC end, and also a RS232 dongle from the RR serial box at PC end.
Tried all variaties of serial "modes", but I understand Mode 3 is the correct one as for the CAT.

CAT control works perfectly. But I have never got the memory programming to work. I have also tried with different RR boxes, eliminating a fault on my RR box.