Author Topic: Some advice please  (Read 8818 times)

VK3ADE

• View Profile
    • Email
Some advice please
« on: 2011-01-12, 04:59:09 »
[RRC-1258MKII-RAD and PC Client.] 

I have an Elecraft K3 and two other devices that require an RS232 interface to control. My current plan is to use a TTL level shifter on COM0 and then use COM1 and COM2 to interface to my other equipment.

Is there any reason why I could not use COM0 in this fashion? Thank you in advance for any replies or information I may receive.

Roger VK3ADE

VK3ADE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some advice please
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-19, 11:06:04 »
For those with an Elecraft K3, the use of Com0 with a level shifter worked just fine, the other 2 ports were then able to be used to control my linear (SPE Expert) and a Steppir antenna. In all a very successful installation of wonderful product.

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-19, 18:31:05 »
How do you have your command unit set up with your PC ?

Joe
W4WT

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-19, 19:05:01 »
The reason for my question is I am wondering if I can use the TTL i/o port on the command unit with a level converter as a "COM port" to free up COM2 for other uses.  I am not using an Elecraft but an Icom Pro III currently using the TTL port at the "Radio" end for CI-V but using COM2 logically connected to COM0 at the command end to tie the computer to the command unit. 

Seems to me one could use the command TTL port with a level converter to connect to the computer's COM port and free up COM2 for other uses and provide two COM ports as you have indicated you now have for accessories.

Maybe Jan or Mike could comment on this.

Joe
W4WT

VK3ADE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-20, 06:08:27 »
Joe

I only have an RRC-1258 at the remote end, at the station end I am using the PC-Client Software. The level shifter is on COM0 at the remote end. The PC Client supplies 3 by virtual RS232 ports at the station end, these correspond to COM0,1 and 2. I have a program like Ham Radio Deluxe (but specifically for a K3) at the station end, this connects to the Com port that corresponds to COM0 at the remote end. I have applications to control both a Steppir Antenna and the SPE amplifier using the other 2 com ports.

In all it was straight forward to get going but I must say another com port would have been handy, I had to make other arrangments to control my rotator remotely. Hopes this gives you a better picture of how it all works.

Roger VK3ADE

rockyjones

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-22, 07:11:04 »
Thanks Roger.  I wasn't aware you were not using both the remote and control units.  Looks like you have things working well.

I can now answer my own question.  I figured what I proposed about using the TTL port on the Control unit to allow me to use COM0 to control my Icom Pro III would work so I bought a Yaesu CT-62 cable with a level converter built in to convert TTL signals to RS232.  I cut off the small 8 pin plug and put on a 6 pin modular connector in its place.  I set both Com1 and Com2 to inactive and plugged in my level converter to my computers COM port and it worked like a charm.  Now I have Com1 and Com2 available for additional equipment.  Just now used Com2 for the rotor controller and it is working fine too.  I Probably will use Com1 for a second rotor that will be going up soon.

Joe
W4WT

OH2FT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-24, 09:21:07 »
If I built TTL to RS232 converters to both ends of RRC boxes, can
I get a third RS232 line through the boxes ? I have Elecraft K3 & HRD using COM 0(2), a microham box in COM 1, but a third one would be very valuable.

Joni OH2FT

I have a third party serial web server too, but that's fully booked by now.

sm3ccm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-24, 18:05:51 »
OH2FT, Joni

What serial WEB server are you using? I been looking around to find one that suites my needs. 73 de Lars SM3CCM   

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-24, 18:30:16 »
Hi Lars,

I have several from MoxA ,
TxD,RxD,RTS,CTS,DTR,DSR,DCD and GND signals available
and working perfect with all (ham) software.

Guy ON4AOI

PS I have the Nport 5210 and DE-311M - PU in use
and they dont have problems with High Power RF
« Last Edit: 2011-01-24, 18:42:53 by ON4AOI »

sm3ccm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-24, 20:11:27 »
Thanks for that info Guy. I will have a look on them.
Do you know anything about IDS-5042-WG? Looks nice but I have no idea what you have to pay for it. They also have a device IDS-141A that seems very interesting.

http://www.oring-networking.com/product/view/cate_sn/116,159/product_sn/24/IDS-5042-WG/IWG

73 de Lars

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-24, 23:07:32 »
I just received a Lantronix UDS2100 (dual serial port) for a new remote location:
http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/uds2100.html

I ordered it from the U.S., since it does not appear to be available in Europe yet. Often
you can find an older device for sale on Ebay, but there seems to be a gap at present
in this part of the world.

I haven't installed it yet, we are waiting for Spring to complete antenna work and make
the installation.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

OH2FT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-25, 09:15:05 »
I have tested VSCOM 211, it's a 2 * RS232 model, with Easy Rotor Controllers.

Would also be interesting to run USB over web servers, but those are harder to find, or maybe they
are only suitable within the same LAN, not really over the web ?

Joni