Author Topic: TS480 using PC instead of its control panel  (Read 7238 times)

w7fz

• View Profile
    • Email
TS480 using PC instead of its control panel
« on: 2011-02-17, 03:00:05 »
Since I travel a lot and stay in hotels, living out of a suitcase, I wish to reduce as much as possible the amount of radio gear which I must take with me in order to operate on the HF bands using my TS480.  I have good connection using the TS480 and its control panel with the Remoterig, but I can not seem to establish connection using a PC instead of the control panel.  Here is my setup:  Laptop connected to the Control-RRC via a USB-to-DB9 cable with its software installed on the laptop.  That installation seems to be OK.  The DB9 end of the cable connects to COM2 on the Control-RCC.  I am using the Kenwood TS480 free software (ARCP-480) installed on the laptop.  I have used it before and like it.  The error message I get on the laptop is that the COM port is in use or the Baud rate is wrong.  The COM port, however, has been configured for 57600bps; likewise, the ARCP-480 software.  I consistently get the same error message.  I need help to resolve this problem.  Help?
w7fz  Robert
w7fz  Robert

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS480 using PC instead of its control panel
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-17, 08:27:51 »
Hi

I have not used the ARCP-480. But you do not write anything about a cable to the radio CÁT-port.
You must connect a RS-232 cable from the Radio-RRC COM2 to the Radio CAT port as the ARCP do not use the same protocol as the control panel. See instructions. You also have to set up COM 2 to Kenwood protocol in both RRC:s with the right baudrate settings. And 57600 is just bandwidth consuming, 19200 is enough

73 de mike

w7fz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TS480 using PC instead of its control panel
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-21, 17:06:58 »
As soon as I read your reply, I realized that I did not connect a cable from the Radio-RRC to the TS480 back at my home QTH.  I am still traveling but will make that cable connection when I arrive at my home.  Hopefully that is the error that I made, and once the cable connection is made I will be able to use the PC and RRC and eliminate the TS480 control panel when I travel.  Thanks for the help.
w7fz  Robert
w7fz  Robert