Author Topic: Control won't connect to wifi  (Read 3596 times)

w2hdi

• View Profile
Control won't connect to wifi
« on: 2020-01-08, 01:36:38 »
I've successfully used remote rig for three years in all configurations. IC7100, laptop, and most often my android phone.  The system works fine with my nano app on the Pixel3, but recently it will not work with the control head and wifi.

I normally use the control head via wifi, usually with my Verizon cellphone on wifi hotspot.  This has been a great option for mobile operation.  I hadn't used the unit in a few months, and now it will not connect to wifi.  It scans and identifies the hotspot when using the setup manager, and sees my hotspot, my  home wifi network as well as printers, etc.  But, it will not connect to the remote ddns server using the Verizon hotspot, nor will it connect to my local wifi using 192.168.1.228.  The system works fine when I connect the control head via ethernet to the router, which is also connected to the base unit. 192.168.1.227 connecting to 192.168.1.228 (base unit).   I think I've tested all options.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Control won't connect to wifi
« Reply #1 on: 2020-01-08, 03:16:46 »
You may have fixed the RRC's IP number using the 192.168.1.XXX subnet, but the hotspot may have
a different subnet. Make sure the RRC is set to DHCP and it should hopefully work.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w2hdi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-01-09, 02:41:22 »
Thank you Mitch.  That solved the problem.  But I do note that in order to change the dns setting from the local address of the radio 1258 back to the dynamic dns setting assigned to me, I had to "turn off" the dhcp.  Does that make sense? In any case, even with dhcp now turned off, wifi connection works as it should.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-01-09, 02:43:21 »
No, that doesn't make sense. The dynamic DNS is on the radio side and is only in the control
RRC's SIP Contact field that doesn't change when you switch to DHCP. In other words, they
have nothing to do with each other.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w2hdi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-10, 14:24:47 »
Of course, you are correct.  When I turned DHCP back on, it works fine.  I need to do a better job of logging settings so I don't keep forgetting what works!

But here's another question for you.  Is there a way to install two profiles in the control head as I do in my Android Nano app?  If I'm home, and use my router and wifi, I can only connect using 192.168.1.228.
When I'm using my cellphone wifi, I connect to base using the dynamic dns assigned to me.  I have two profiles in the Nano app that makes this easy.  Can I somehow do this with the control 1258 so that I can set it up in my home office?  Now, I have to go to the station, connect to my ethernet and program the dns name back and forth.  I only have ethernet in one spot in my house, at the router in my ham shack.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-01-10, 15:46:00 »
I think you are asking about profiles for the RRC?

In that case, yes, there is a menu "profiles" that has five different ones for you to use.
The can be switched within the web menu, using the Microbit Setup Manager, or using
the CW pot. For the latter, the directions are on the RRC's profiles web page.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w2hdi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-01-11, 00:01:41 »
Brilliant.  I now have "pot" control to change the profile from home wifi or mobile using cellphone hot spot.
Thank you very much for your rapid responses.  With your help, I've developed a new understanding about how the parts work together.
Arnie
W2HDI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-01-11, 00:50:03 »
Glad to hear that you are satisfied, Arnie.

Have fun!

Mitch DJ0QN  / K7DX