Author Topic: Problem converting from static IP to DNS  (Read 2321 times)

Dick N4RA

• View Profile
    • Email
Problem converting from static IP to DNS
« on: 2022-08-22, 00:04:39 »
My Remoterig/K3 remote setup has been running flawlessly for a few years.  My internet service at the radio end was Sprint cellular with a static IP address.  When TMobile took over Sprint, my hotspot/IP setup became obsolete.  They gave me a 5G cellular hotspot but no longer offer a static IP address.  I've been trying to switch to the dynamic DNS at the radio end with no luck. 

I think I've setup the RR DNS server correctly and I think the IP address is getting passed successfully, but when I turn on power on the K3/mini I get the 3-tone cannot connect signal.

Cntl RRC Status messages:
Connection Status    Disconnected
SIP Status                Error
Last SIP Error        SIP Error

Any suggestions on what I may have missed in my conversion from static IP to DNS?

Dick
N4RA

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Problem converting from static IP to DNS
« Reply #1 on: 2022-08-22, 09:40:23 »
Hi

Have you checked that you have a public IP at the radio QTH ? New ISP suscriptions is almost 100% CGN,

follow the instructions here to checkhttp://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=3494

if you have a public ip check the status page in the radio-RRC, what does it say about DNS and DDNS. Often DNS is the problem, then set DNS IP on the IP setup page to Google DNS =8.8.8.8

73 de mike

Dick N4RA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2022-09-17, 20:30:13 »
Sorry it took so long to reply.  I've been researching my options.  I'm pretty sure my ISP is using CGNAT although no one I've spoken to admits it.  I don't think the customer reps know what it is.  Does anyone have a solution for the CGN problem?  I see a VPN provider claims to solve the port forwarding issue.  Is VPN a solution?

I've also checked with other ISPs in my area and it seems that CGN is everywhere - or will be soon.

Dick
N4RA

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2022-09-17, 23:22:01 »
if you have a public IP at the control end VPN can work if you setup the VPN tunnel from the radioend.

The VPN providers cannot be used, it's no way to pass CGN. it's possible to setup a connection in the way it does when you are using  teamviewer to remote control a PC . But that means that all data has to pass a server and it will be to slow for a realtime system like Remoterig

73 de mike

py2xb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2022-09-18, 22:22:24 »
CGN is getting more and more common, even in calbled internet. Every modification my Internet provider does,  worries me.

Mike, I have Public IPV4 and IPV6 at home. I thought IPV6 was going to solve the problem and stop CGN wave. It seems not.

Does Remoterig support IPV6 or will support it ?

Regards Fred PY2XB