Author Topic: Memory Programming with RemoteRig Separating Panel and Deck of TM-V71A  (Read 1297 times)

N3AE

• View Profile
Looking for advice and experience with re-programming memory channels in a Kenwood  TM-V71A with the front panel, separated from the RF deck but connected via RemoteRig. 

For starters, I'm not sure if the channel memory (and other config memories) are stored in the front panel or the RF deck of the V71A.  When the front panel is directly connected to the RF deck (no RemoteRig) it's just a matter of connecting the PC to the connector on the back of the RF deck and using Kenwood's software, RT Systems or Chirp to update the memory.  Is the same true if the front panel is separated (and in a remote location) using RemoteRig?  I assume that as long as the radio is turned on via the front panel, I can go to the RF deck and proceed as if there was no RemoteRig connection.   In my situation it would be difficult to re-attach the front panel(s) ... multiple radios involved supporting our RACES setup at an EOC with the RF decks in a remote tower shelter.

tnx

N3AE

N3AE

• View Profile
To help others that may have the same question, here's the answer.

We were able to reprogram TM-V71 radios with their front panels separated from the RF deck by RemoteRig.   No issues or surprises.  Used RT Systems software.  Two of the radios had their RemoteRigs connected by dedicated CAT6 cable (no network) and another two were connected through a LAN (not hooked to the Internet) that serves a number of county tower sites.  For us, the LAN was set up as E-Pipes between the sites.  In our case, between our EOC and a tower shelter about 3 miles away.