Author Topic: SSB suddently dropped out  (Read 1443 times)

oh1jd

• View Profile
    • Email
SSB suddently dropped out
« on: 2023-09-04, 12:40:00 »
G'day,

Yesterday, practically in the middle of the qso, I lost the ssb transmitting audio completely. Reception works fine, PTT works ok (i.e the transmitter on the remote end is keyed), but no ssb audio at all (not even a faint noise on transmitted audio). CW is ok, FSK is ok, USB -audio (connected to a local computer) works ok but I cannot get the remote microphone audio until the DSP of the TS-590 SG.

As I am 7500 km away from the radio site, the troubleshooting is somewhat cumbersome but I am proceeding as follows:

The above tells me that:
1) the radio circuitry until the DSP is somewhat ok.
2) an unlikely possibility that may have failed in the radio end is the ADC (the codec) which is sampling the audio from the front panel mic connection but I am more inclined to believe that it would possibly be the radio end RRC.

Now, is there any practical means to remotely check the audio circuitry from the analogue side at remote site until the analogue audio circuit on the radio site, bearing in mind that the tools that I have access here to are in the range of screwdriver and hammer instead of anything more sophisticated ?
Has anyone seen this kind of a thing before ?

I can isolate the radio issue later this week when I get someone to the station to change the radio but I would like to test the remaining circuitry  a bit further as the only unit that I have not  yet doubled are the RRC -boxes.

Any advice would be more than welcome :)

73, Ville oh1jd (in BY4-land)

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: SSB suddently dropped out
« Reply #1 on: 2023-09-04, 12:56:39 »
Check codec out gain settings in the radio RRC

Mike

oh1jd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2023-09-04, 15:22:37 »
Hi Mike,

Super ! That was it. Didn't even come to my little mind that the settings would be corrupted. Any particular reason or situation that this may occur ?

Anyways, thank you much for the help! I ordered another set so next holiday back in Finland will see the remote SO2R setup to be configured :)

73, Ville oh1jd

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2023-09-04, 19:41:28 »
OK Great

It has happen a few times, there is no known reason for it

73 de mike

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2023-09-05, 06:12:59 »
Bug   ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.