Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Just wanted to share what I found during some troubleshooting today.   I have a Control RCC, s/n 13824, that experienced difficulties booting when power was supplied through the 12vdc coaxial plug.  Initially it was fine but on a subsequent power-ups it failed.   Symptoms included no Green power LED with a steady Red and Yellow LED (above Mic connector), plus no ability to link to the internal web server. 

I discovered that the 12v jack on the PWB was mounted slightly askew such that the outer ring (negative) of the 12V coaxial power plus could/would contact the side of the chassis hole when inserted into the jack.  Looking at the PWB traces, it appears that the 12v negative is not necessarily connected directly to chassis but, like the positive supply, runs through an inductor in what amounts to a pi EMI filter.  So my assumption is that direct contact from the 12v negative to the chassis is not intended and causes issues.

Rather than mess with the jack on the PWB, I used a tapered reamer to slightly enlarge the chassis hole.  That solved the problem.

When assembled, you should see the 12v coaxial jack's plastic continuously around the circumference of the chassis hole and well centered in the hole.  If it's not, chances are that the outer ring of the coaxial plug will be in contact with the chassis even though the plug "feels" fully inserted.

We have a number of RRC-1258 MKII's running in our RACES setup and they have been very reliable.  Not a single glitch since being powered up in the fall of 2021.  This one had not been powered up since it was purchased.
General discussion forum / yaesu FT-857d losing some configurations
« Last post by Joni on 2024-05-08, 14:39:12 »
Hei,
been working for a while remotely my station and Remoterig, Radio FT-857d and its panel are working mainly ok.
Sometimes my system loses display and backlight.
I have to go settings, put the menu number:
-044 disp mode =ON
-042 disp contrast =5
Why system loses only these two settings?
If I keep system on, powered on, there is no problem that I know.
Any ideas or anyone has similar problems?
Best Regards , Joni , 73!
Clear!

P1 is 0-3V levels not RS232.

1216S and 1216R is the same but different gender. and 2,3 shifted  so both can be used by adapting the cable to the radio

73 de mike

I think a 1216S unit is in stock at a local distributor

I guess I can use a 1216S or 1216R. Just changing the TX/RX cables 

Is the P1 connector NOT RS-232 level?
No. You need a 1216R or 1216S cable the have a RS232 interface in the dsub. It can of course be made DIY.  73 de mike
Hello

Can the P1 connector be directly soldered to a Serial 9pin connector to control the switch from a Kenwood transceiver serial port?

73s de Marcel
Feature Requests / Re: I can no longer connect
« Last post by sm2o on 2024-05-02, 20:26:02 »
Hi
The Kenwood and ICOM nano app works OK with both IC-7100 and TS-480. Download the latest versions and check your settings you probably have something wrong. Remember that CAT cables and CI-V interfaces are needed and Correct  mode and baudrade must be setup in the Radio-RRC com2 settings. The Radios need to be set to coorect baudrate, not Automatic.

73 de mike
Configuration, RRC 1258 / Re: AF volume problem with K3 twins
« Last post by sm2o on 2024-05-02, 20:18:05 »
Hi

The problem is that the K3/0 does not send automatic volume updates, I told Elecraft about it 10 years ago but it was never changed. Set the volume at the remote K3 to the level you normal use, it will be the default level until you turn the volume knob manaully

73 de mike
Hardware, Cabling, Installations / Re: Control abnormality
« Last post by JJ8LNX on 2024-04-29, 09:08:40 »
Azu has been restored.

The status after restoration is as follows.
Press and hold the reset button to perform a factory reset. I immediately performed another factory reset, reinstalled the firmware, and then unplugged the power for about an hour.

I don't know which one worked, but I couldn't recover with just one factory reset, so I'll post it here just in case.

Before both RRC1258s went bad, there was a phenomenon where it became difficult to connect to the network. I felt like if I turned off the power and then turned it back on, things would go back to normal, but I started noticing that once every three months, then once a month, and then once a week, the intervals at which I had to turn off the power became shorter. I have a personal experience with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10