Author Topic: 3G via ICS (notebook and HSPA stick)  (Read 6103 times)

DL7AV

• View Profile
    • Email
3G via ICS (notebook and HSPA stick)
« on: 2011-12-21, 21:00:30 »
Hi, has anybody succeeded in connecting via an UMTS stick? Connecting (through an X-cable) the Panel-RRC to the Ethernet connector of a notebook which is using a plugged in UMTS (HSPA) stick? Unsuccessful here. Very good 3G quality at the test location. LAN card of notebook set to 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0, RRC set to 192.168.0.129/255.255.255.0/192.168.0.1. Windows-Firewall switched off. After switching on the RRC, continuous LED at RRC after a few seconds. When trying to switch on the TS-480 there is the typical short beep after 2-3 seconds. But the TS-480 does not switch on! HSPA constant data exchange afterwards, 2 kbps upload, 129 kbps download. After switching off the RRC the data exchange stays at 129 kbs up and down! Any idea what the problem is?
Thomas DL7AV

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: 3G via ICS (notebook and HSPA stick)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-21, 21:06:39 »
I have used the PC as Gateway to 3G many time myself for demonstrations on hamfests and exhibitions. I just set the RRC to DHCP. And then bridge the two connections together in win7. Mark up both and right click and select brigde.

73 de mike

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-22, 01:18:56 »
FWIW

I use 3G connection here; many times when I power up the TS-480SAT, I hear a single beep but nothing comes on the display. Then I tap the power button one more time, and it comes to life. It's like it takes 2 pushes on the Kenwood power button...

...not always, but usually...

73 John K7FD

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-22, 09:09:04 »
What about keeping the power button pressed a little while? That is not just press and it and immediately release it.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

DL7AV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-22, 18:10:31 »
Thank you. Jan, is the beep (after pressing the start button at the TS-480) an indication that the setup is basically ok? No way to get a display or audio by different ways of pressing the button. - I wanted to bridge the two connections at first. But Windows XP says I can only bridge two LAN or high speed internet connections, the USB 3G modem is different. For the time being I have given up. Thanks and good luck for further developments with the wonderful Remoterig. 73
Thomas DL7AV

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-22, 19:38:07 »
I have had my control RRC connected via my laptop and its USB 3G stick to the internet like Mike described. You have to configure an Internet bridge on the laptop. I had to read the helptext in Windows XP to make it work...

If your Radio-RRC is on the internet via 3G at the same ISP you might have a problem. The scandinavian 3G provider '3' (www.3.dk) does not allow one 3G stick to connect to another of their 3G stick due to a firewall or lack of routing in the '3' internal network. I have complained, but their Helpdesk does not know too much of network routing and nothing about tracert. Their network engineers knows about the problem, but did not solve it before I switched to another ISP.

73, Palle, OZ1RH

EA5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2012-01-22, 17:21:20 »
Hi everyone:

I'm trying to bridge two connections (ethernet card and wifi card) in my laptop with windows 7 starter, I can't do it.

Is possible to do that with windows 7 starter?

Thanks,

EA5EXK Carlos
73's from EA5WA Juan Carlos